Mo-99m/Tc-99m

Since CINTICHEM shut down there is no regulasr producer of Mo-99m in the U.S.
Our supply is currently coming from Canada, using the NRU reactor (built
1957). Canada was planning a replaement reactor (MAPLE) because of the age of
the NRU. I believe that reactor is now dead. DoE has studied and proposed use
of several of its facilities to produce Mo-99m. However these seem to be
shutdown faster than they can come with new candidates. The latest of these to
be shutdown is Omega West.

While several Non-power reactors (research reactors) make nuclides, e.g.,
most notably MURR- Univ of Missouri, none are or can be a regular provider.

So the current status is that we are dependent on NRU.
What is available as a backup, I don't know.
What the DoE plans are would be interesting to post, but I don't have the
info since I missed the latest TRTR meeting. (Test, Research, Training Reactor)

I don't believe the ANS (Advanced Neutron Source) reactor killed recently in
congress was a factor in this discussion.

It does not take a very big reactor to do the job.  While NRU is 135 MW,
Cintichem was 5 MW.  But it does require excellent hot cell facilities.
So you cannot just start up anywhere.

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV
   ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life