Hesitate to ask !?

From:   IN%"arcie@netcom.com" 13-MAY-1995 16:36:49.00
To:     IN%"clescuyer@bix.com", IN%"hamilton@bix.com", IN%"ADETOR@delphi.com",
N%"DLGEE@delphi.com", IN%"SCHILLJN@delphi.com", IN%"PPETERSO@delphi.com",
IN%"WA YLOCK@delphi.com", IN%"ERINANDSCOTT@delphi.com",
IN%"DANDERSO@delphi.com", IN%"R AHALL@delphi.com", I

CC:
Subj:   Was TJI, now: THIS is TRUE for 7 May 1995

Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 12:00:00 +0000 (PST)
From: Randy Cassingham <arcie@netcom.com>
Subject: Was TJI, now: THIS is TRUE for 7 May 1995
Sender: arcie@netcom.com
Apparently-to: this-just-in-outgoing@netcom.com
To: clescuyer@bix.com, hamilton@bix.com, ADETOR@delphi.com, DLGEE@delphi.com,
 SCHILLJN@delphi.com, PPETERSO@delphi.com, WAYLOCK@delphi.com,
 ERINANDSCOTT@delphi.com, DANDERSO@delphi.com, RAHALL@delphi.com,
 PROULXJ@delphi.com, BRENNAN130@delphi.com, DBRODSKY@delphi.com,
 BANOSM@delphi.com, THEBEASLEYS@delphi.com, TMARROW@delphi.com,
mowatt@bix.com,  eriko@bix.com, BENVENZKE@delphi.com, KITTD@delphi.com,
Kfriedman@delphi.com,  ALMEL@delphi.com, PENEFF@delphi.com,
WEAVERR@delphi.com, LMKLEIN@delphi.com,  JOEFOWLER@delphi.com,
CHCLARK@delphi.com, NBOROWSKI@delphi.com,  JMUCKERHEIDE@delphi.com,
DKRUGER@delphi.com, LesJohnson@delphi.com,  JMWALLACE@delphi.com,
DHUGHSON@delphi.com, MARC@delphi.com, LTAITT@delphi.com,  SKYRUNER@delphi.com,
4800@delphi.com, DETROITRIC@delphi.com Reply-to: arcie@netcom.com

Dispatched weekly to 71 countries AND the United Nations Economic
  Commission for Africa (Ethiopia), it's...

THIS is TRUE for 7 May 1995           Copyright 1995 by Randy Cassingham
I'M NOT ADDICTED, I CAN STOP AT ANY TIME: Shell Oil Co. has installed TV
  screens on gasoline pumps in some U.S. areas to play commercials for
  Shell products, but some gas station owners have changed the channel.
  One owner noted her customers "don't want to be bombarded with
  advertisements," so she now shows "CNN, a travel channel and
  cartoons." The screen only works while the pump is in use. (AP)
  ...Hey, buddy: mind if I fill up your car? My tank is full, and I
  want to see the rest of this.

MY DAUGHTER HAS A WHAT? Roberta Cremonini gave birth to a daughter at a
  Rome hospital, and breastfed the infant for her three-day hospital
  stay. But when she took her daughter home and changed the baby's
  diaper for the first time, she was shocked: the baby was a boy. An
  investigation discovered that hospital nurses had accidentally
  switched identification bracelets with another child shortly after
  the birth of the children. Both babies are back with their correct
  mothers. (Reuter) ...Maybe the nurses need better lighting in the
  newborn changing area.

AH, THERE'S THE RUB: Pasquale D'Onofrio, 43, failed to return to the
  state prison in Enfield, Conn., after a weekend furlough. The
  Connecticut Fugitive Task Force quickly tracked him down to a
  friend's house, where he was found hiding in the bathtub. He was
  arrested and returned to Enfield to complete his 10-year sentence.
  The charge in that case? Prison escape. (AP) ...Some people just
  don't know when to quit and try a new profession.

NOTHING. TRY THE MAID'S OUTFIT AGAIN: The London Zoo can't get their
  pandas to mate. Perhaps, Prince Philip noted, it's because they only
  see zoo keepers, and thus can't recognize their mates. So "I
  suggested they ought to put the panda into a keeper's uniform," the
  prince said. The zoo has apparently not taken the suggestion.
  (Reuter) ...Maybe they simply need glasses.

HEY, IF YOU'RE NOT BUSY: Jeff Shrouds was flying from Minneapolis to San
  Francisco with his girlfriend on a Northwest Airlines plane when the
  cabin started filling with smoke. "This looked pretty serious so I
  thought 'do it now,'" Shrouds said, explaining why he chose that
  moment to ask his girlfriend to marry him. "I thought the captain
  could marry us on the way down if we were going to crash," Shrouds
  explained. The plane landed safely; the problem was traced to an
  overheated air conditioner. His girlfriend, Jody Nichols, accepted
  the proposal. (AP) ...If you think that would have been a quick
  wedding, consider the honeymoon.

FULL MOON: Independent Television (England) weather reporter Fred Talbot
  was doing a live segment from the Liverpool Docks in front of a large
  map when a naked man jumped into the picture and ran around on the
  map. The man first ran from England to Wales, but fell off the map --
  and into the water next to the dock -- trying to jump from Scotland
  to Northern Ireland. "He told us he had done it because it was a
  sunny day and it was a bit of fun," Richard Maddeley, the show's
  host, said after interviewing the man. "Anyone who fails to see the
  funny side needs a sense-of-humor transplant." (AP) ...Mr. Maddeley
  didn't say which side he thought was more funny.

PHYSICIAN, HEAL THYSELF: Bashari Abdelmoneim Saleh, 38, is a well-known
  faith healer in Khartoum, Sudan. But police, suspicious of his
  methods, asked him to perform his cures on television. Apparently,
  his methods didn't work out too well: after reviewing the show, a
  public order court sentenced Saleh to three months in jail and 25
  lashes with a rattan cane. (Reuter) ...TV critics in the U.S. are
  salivating over the very idea.

FINGER-LICKIN' GOOD: Researchers at the Savannah River (S.C.) Ecology
  Laboratory have suggested how low-level nuclear waste at weapons
  sites might be cleaned up: feed it to chickens. The chickens' high
  metabolism burns off the waste, the researchers say, and after
  removal from the site and feeding the chickens non-contaminated food
  for 10 days, any leftover radiation in their bodies is eliminated.
  Would the meat sell? "If that meat is cheaper and you call it
  radioactively cleaned meat and you put it on the shelf for half
  price, I bet people in this country would eat it," one of the
  researchers claims. (AP) ...They forgot the number one sales point:
  it's meat that cooks itself!

I CAN DIG IT: Science fiction writer Brian Aldiss returned to his
  boarding school grounds in West Buckland, England, and, with the help
  of some current students and a metal detector, found a cache of his
  early stories. He had buried them in 1942 so they wouldn't be seen by
  his teachers -- "Most schoolboys are obsessed with sex and some of
  the tales were full of erotic activities, though tame by today's
  standards," he said. He was 16 at the time, and charged classmates
  one pence to read each story. "They were eagerly received and avidly
  read by everyone in my dorm," he recalled. (Reuter) ...Kids today
  can't relate, considering the nice data encryption programs on their
  laptops.

GREAT ON CRACKERS: "Sheep Dip Affects Farmers' Brains, Study Finds" --
  Reuter headline

MORE ON THE MUTATION: As mentioned last week, I *had* to switch from the
  name "This Just In". There's no going back: the new name is settled.
  Please don't waste your time sending in other suggestions! Believe
  me, I spent a lot of time and went through a lot of ideas before
  settling on TRUE. (And to the many who wrote to say they loved the
  new name -- and even those who didn't -- thanks: sorry I couldn't
  reply to everyone individually.) Also, yes: last week, I should have
  said *American* Radio Relay League ("Amateur" was a ...uh... typo.
  Yeah, that's it.) At least I'm pretty sure I spelled "United Nations"
  right this week.

TO RECEIVE "THIS is TRUE" every week free by e-mail, send e-mail to
  listserv@netcom.com with the message: "subscribe this-is-true"
  (without quotes) -- please, nothing else on the line. To UNSUBSCRIBE
  or for HELP subscribing, e-mail this-is-true-approval@netcom.com; a
  human will help you. Comments are welcome: e-mail arcie@netcom.com or
  write to Randy c/o Freelance Communications, PO Box 1895, Upland CA
  91785-1895 USA; OUR NEW FAX NUMBER: 500 442-TRUE (NOT toll free).
  "This is True" is a trademark of Freelance Communications.

Copyright 1995 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. Broadcast,
  publication or storage -- including on CD-ROM, listservers, BBSs,
  WWW, "FTP" archives, or anywhere else -- is STRICTLY PROHIBITED
  without PRIOR written permission. However, permission is GRANTED to
  circulate this publication via manual forwarding by e-mail to another
  single person providing that 1) the file is transmitted IN ITS
  ENTIRETY, from the title and byline on top to the end of this
  paragraph, and 2) NO FEE is charged. Reasonable enough?