Re: WWW and the Net at the HPS

To all,

I think it makes sense to have a multitude of Web sites.  If the HPS decides to
have one, it would have to be fairly controlled to ensure buy-off by the bulk of
members.  Perhaps the HPS should maintain a _formal_ page on the net with
"approved" content.  This section would have the HPS stamp of approval and the
backing of the leadership.  Not exactly a free flow of information, but
credibility must be maintained.  Other sites could then be indicated with
pointers.

These sites could be a forum for some of our more "unusual" opinions and ideas.
I would be concerned that while one of our fearless leaders was testifying to
congress they may get asked to defend some of the crazy emails I have seen on
RADSAFE for example.  The question may go something like this:

(Imagine Sen. Howell Heflin leans forward toward a microphone, sliding his
glasses down the bridge of his nose as he peers at a printed transcript....)

"I saw th' wuz a postin' on y' bullit'n boad say'in...."

Rob Gunter
ORNL

(No disrespect intended for the Honorable Sen. Heflin.  I have to admit the idea
for the quote came from an old Dave Barry article)