Re: Calibration of blood irr

I was once offered a very high strength Sr-90 blood irradiator for
use with the kidney transplantation team from a joint hospital
consortium near the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
The purpose of the irradiator was to inactivate immune system cells
that cause graft versus host disease (GVHD) or in some cases to
reduce host versus graft disease (HVGD) by depressing circulating
cells (without damaging bone marrow), the target cells are certain
lymphocytes key to producing the dangerous antibodies/substances that
lead to transplanted organ rejection, which may be inactivated by
passing blood through the irradiator at a given rate (transit dose
counts!).  We rejected the offer due to problems with Sr-90 as a
source and problems with disposition/maintenance of Sr-90 irradiators
of the type offered.  This may not be the application for Carl's
institution of course.

Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346