Re: x-rays, IRB, rad-safty, consents, regs

> Date:          Fri, 19 May 95 12:14:37 -0500
> From:          "Villanueva-Meyer, Dr. Javier" <jvillanu@ANCILLARY.UTMRAD1.UTMB.EDU>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       x-rays, IRB, rad-safty, consents, regs

> Hi RADSAFERs:

> Should the use of x-ray, fluoroscopy for research be regulated? Research
> projects require patient consenting.  The risk section should give a
> quantitative risk, compare it to other common sources of radiation, use lay
> language and give a quantitative estimate of  an increase in cancer risk.
>  If we regulate, who should do it?  The IRB or the Rad Safety Comittee? Or,
> we already regulate too many things, we should leave this one alone?.

The thing that should be reviewed is the dose, not the route, per se.
 Most facilities have a human use committee that reviews research
involving irradiation of humans among other challanges to resilient
research assistants.

               Russ Meyer
               Internet: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
               tel: 512/834-6688