DOT License

Hello again, Radsafers.

Thanks for the many return notes on my question about DOT licensing of
launch vehicles. Since I wrote that I've learned a lot, and due to the
overwhelming requests for any information I learned, I figured it would
be faster to post to the list rather than write each of you
individually.

BTW, you all are a funny bunch! Great jokes about this situation.

Here's the scoop. The Commercial Space Launch Act of 1984 (FR 4/4/88)
set up the Office of Commercial Space Transportation as part of the DOT.
Since most previous launches were licensed by NASA, DOD, DOE, etc., and
these agencies had no jurisdiction over private companies doing
commercial launches, Congress passed the Act to "ensure the public
health and safety" from the activities associated with commercial launch
services. The regulations generated by the Act are in 14 CFR Chapter
III. This new federal bureaucracy requires license applications and all
kinds of information about the flight. They "evaluate" the information
and tell us how much insurance we have to carry for the flight, among
other things. When I talked to the individual who is evaluating our
launch, and its radioactive material (mostly specifically exempted
sources) he seemed to have never heard of 10 CFR. Yikes! Oh well. We're
all on some portion of the learning curve. They are a separate office
under the DOT, but expect to be consolidated under the FAA.

Currently they are not charging a license fee, but the regs allow for
one, and we all know how that goes.

I've been following the thread on dosimetry companies. We use Radiation
Detection Company, and have for 20+ years. We are very happy with them
and have had great customer service from them. Bev Paustenbach is their
HP and she is wonderful. RDC, 162 N Wolfe Rd, Sunnyvale, CA, 94086,
(408) 735-8700.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space            Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611