Re: China Conducts Underground Nuclear Test

This report looks more realistic, i.e., 100 kt vice the 100 t
that I had heard earlier [probably another famous newspaper
typo].  However, the test still would not have enough energy
even as a surface test to provide significant stratospheric
injection leading to global fallout (key word is significant).
--------------

>The report below is from the China News Digest (CND) WWW Server.
>
>[CND, 05/16/95] -- China exploded an underground nuclear device on Monday,
>Reuter reported.
>
>According to the Australian Seismological Center in Canberra, the explosion
>took place at 0405 GMT (around midnight EDT), presumably at Lop Nor test
>site, Xinjiang.  The blast was recorded about 5.9 in magnitude on the
>Richter scale, and estimated to be of the destructive power of 40 to 150
>kilotons of TNT.  China conducted its last nuclear on October 7, 1994.
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030