Re: Ward Valley "fill-the-blanks"

> Date: Tue, 23 May 95 15:45:48 -0500
The answer to Jim's questions are: this is NOT the LLRW site being
sited by the Texas Low Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Authority
(TLLRWDA).

This is a newly proposed mixed-waste facility (also in West Texas).
The fear mentioned by Vermont Yankee (and some others) is that
creation of this facility may hinder the siting of the official LLRW
disposal site.  The fear mentioned by Tom Smith, is that a private
contractor is not as responsible as a government agency.

Wes

Liner Notes:  Texas has several government agencies in this arena.
Texas Department of Health (us) regulates the possession and use of
radioactive material.  Texas Natural Resources Conservation
Commission regulates waste (including, as of 2 years ago,
radioactive) disposal.  TLLRWDA is to site, build and manage
the LLRW disposal site.  Texas Railroad Commission regulates the
disposal of oil and gas NORM (as of about 2 years ago).

> From: JMUCKERHEIDE@delphi.com
> Subject: Re: Ward Valley "fill-the-blanks"
> Does this make sense to anybody?  What's VY's problem with the
bill? > What's really being proposed here?

> >  *    "Nuclear Waste Bill Rocketing Through Legislature"
> >      HOUSTON CHRONICLE, 5/18/95 (p. 1A)
> >      R.G. Ratcliffe
> >
> > A measure that would create a low-level nuclear-waste dump in west
> > Texas "has become one of the fastest-moving bills in the 74th
> > Legislature, because" the proposed site is in an economically
> > depressed area, the HOUSTON CHRONICLE reports.  "Billions of
> > dollars" in contracts from the U.S. Departments of Energy and

NOTE: Due to changes in the world and the way
things are, my email address has changed to:
       wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us