Re: AAHP survey Slaback

Lets face it, the current ABHP certification process is no longer a what it
pretends to be-encouragement to study Health Physics.  The process now is simply
a means to exclude other HPs from becoming certified.  This maintains the high
mnonetary value of certification.  This is why a degree is required.  Most
competant HPs are scared of the exam and thereby never plan to take the exam.
This discourages study in Health Physics.  The exam itself requires mindless
memorization of formulas and obscure documents that never should be used quickly
off the top of your head.  Worse, the exam doesn't really test important
practical topics like regulations, liability protection or people skills (I know
this is hard to test). Probably taking the NRRPT is a better learning
experience.  As an HP, I seriously considered taking the CIH exam because I
thought it was easier and a better career choice.  That's a shame.

I think that there is some value in having a "Prima Donna" certification.  I
think that another skills based exam should be developed.  The exam could be
split into sections that you could take incrementally.  You could have an exams
in radiation detection, radiation biology, etc.  Once you passed some percentage
(80%) of these (or all of them)  you would be considered licensed by this
authority.  This would encourage broader study in Health Physics than the
current exam.

This makes it sound like I couldn't pass the exam.  Well I just did.  In my
first try!!  I am very happy that made it BUT I don't think that the exam
elevates our profession.  If the exam doesn't change, please don't be afraid to
try.  The worst part is having the gumption to try.

As for the degree-It is important to have this for getting good jobs.  I think
if you can pass Part I of the test, that should be enough to let you take Part
II (without a degree).  This is a small penalty for not having a degree which
doesn't penalize the volunteer graders of the exam.