Re: To Bioassay or not to Bioassay!!, per Alex Zapantis

> All opinions appreciated. Also, am I reinventing the wheel here? I suspect
> that I might be.

Alex,
      You might be interested in reviewing our Nuclear Regulatory
Commission's Regulatory Guide's 8.9 and 8.25. In 8.9, I believe, the
NRC states that for the purpose of determining whether or not
internal dose estimation is necessary,a licensee may defacto
establish that bioassays for intake of airborne radionuclides are not
necessary if less than 10,000 ALI's are handled in the lab per year.
This is based on, again, I believe, Alan Brodsky's empirically
derived 10E-6 resuspension factor.  If the inhalation and ingestion
ALI's for the radionuclides in question are significantly different,
you might want to consider that in your policy/procedure manual.

               Russ Meyer
               Internet: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
               tel: 512/834-6688
               fax: 512/834-6654