Re: Cornflake Health Physics

Albert Lee Vest writes:

> >Is it just me, or does it seem to others that the fraud level in
> >health physics is much higher than most professions.
>
> Harsh language, again!  It's not just you.  Both licensees and regulatory
> agencies seem willing to hire whoever they can get to fill HP vacancies.  If
> not - I probably wouldn't be here now!  Fortunately for those who hire mere
> 'physicists', we are adaptable enough to pick up the paperwork skills, etc.

HP means only "Admin Control" in many (most?) cases, and formal training
directly supported by Federal funding since the early- mid-70s has
specifically, intentionally, avoided the science of HP and radiobiology.  You
can't have too many in the community wondering and questioning why we are
regulating and "complying" to m-levels when there are no effects at M-levels!

Read eg, Egon Lorenz' (NCI) paper on "Preliminary Experiments" in Zirkle 1954,
and the subsequent experiments in the mice, guinea pigs, and rabbits
populations.

(I'll grab a summary and more complete ref if I can find it.)

In the meantime, I applaud the "Special Section on Dose-Response Models" in
the HPS Newsletter (and the statements by Ron Kathren, Wade Patterson, and
about 2 dozen others that are in the vanguard of "re-introducing" the subject
of "health physics", and science, into considerations of HP adn its role in
the world. Then there will need to be a distinction between scientific and
technical knowledge vs rad tech measuring and controlling access and paper.

I encourage HPs, with a science background that transcends pure paper and just
measuring rad, to consider the creative potential in the field when the
question of balancing costs and exposure are reconsidered, at whatever level
such a regulatory framework is to be set at; or even consider substantively
what the level should be (like Al Tschaeche's HPSN article), and the
professional role of the HP is making judgements about when somebody needs to
be badged and how extensive a survey is needed to qualify an area with
contamination for access without a rote "go for zero" and ALARA framework.

> Albert Vest - MS, Physics, 1987.
> Albert Lee Vest          The Ohio State University
> Health Physicist   Room 200 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
> (614)292-1284                    1314 Kinnear Road
> "Action brings good fortune" - Syd Barrett
> "Rock n roll" - John Goodman     Columbus OH 43212
> My employer did not review or approve this message.

(I'll bet!  :-)
Mine either.

Regards, Jim