Re: Cornflake Health Physics

>From: GARY MANSFIELD <GARY.MANSFIELD@quickmail.llnl.gov>
>[deleted]

>I'm currently working for the VA, and have been looking for an HP
>position, (I have a BS Physics (UCLA) and am just turning in my MS thesis
>in Nuclear Physics) but they are all filled up with Nuc Med techs and
>X-ray techs.
>[deleted]
>Many of the physicists I am doing research with are absolutely
>horrified at the thought that I would EVEN consider getting into health
>physics.

Of course.  They live for research.  How many health physicists get to do
research?  Very few.  We're usually too busy scrubbing floors and
documenting minutiae.  Also, are you looking into vacancies outside the VA?
I wouldn't rule it out, if I were you, from what I've heard about VA working
conditions.

>I've met some ARSOs who don't know what that squiggly line (integral
>sign) means and are completely clueless about physics in general, modern
>in particular.

Don't you think calling them by that four-letter word is a bit harsh?
Especially in a public forum.  ;-^)

>Why do they still have the positions titled as health "physicist"?  Why not
>"health safety tech" or "rad safety tech"?  A lot of people go to
>school and bust their butts studying to earn the right to be called
>physicists, part of that is an expectation that the person knows "physics".

And I know some MD's who just hate it when PhD's put the honorific "Doctor"
in front of their names ...

>Is it just me, or does it seem to others that the fraud level in
>health physics is much higher than most professions.

Harsh language, again!  It's not just you.  Both licensees and regulatory
agencies seem willing to hire whoever they can get to fill HP vacancies.  If
not - I probably wouldn't be here now!  Fortunately for those who hire mere
'physicists', we are adaptable enough to pick up the paperwork skills, etc.

Albert Vest - MS, Physics, 1987.
Albert Lee Vest          The Ohio State University
Health Physicist   Room 200 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
(614)292-1284                    1314 Kinnear Road
"Action brings good fortune" - Syd Barrett
"Rock n roll" - John Goodman     Columbus OH 43212
My employer did not review or approve this message.