From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu on Wed, Jun 7, 1995 7:58 AM
Subject: RE: AAHP survey (6/95 HPS newsletter)
To: Multiple recipients of list

that it would be better to require a degree from an approved health physics
program (similar to the other professions), but there are currently not
enough programs":

The Health Physics Education Reference Book (1995-96) recently compiled and
edited by Wes Bolch lists 40 HP programs and degrees which include 4
associate degree, 14 BS degree, 32 MS degree, and 20 PhD degree granting
programs in the US.  Although some of the degree programs may not be truly
"health physics" programs -- whatever that really includes, but I am sure
that most of these programs do not feel that they are at maximum enrollment
levels.  If David meant that there are not enough programs for non-
traditional students, like people who must keep working, he should not forget
that Nationla Technical University (live and tape) and Georgia Tech (tape)
offer video MS degree programs for non-traditional students.

I suspect that certification does not require a degree if we are assuming
that certification means that one knows everything necessary to perform
operational health physics tasks.  In addition in the current regulatory
environment where "regulatory science" (not the scientific study of
regulation) is more important than science, a degree in technical writing or
public policy/communication might be a better option than a highly technical
degree.  In that light, maybe anthropology is an excellent background for the
HP.

Nolan E. Hertel
Health Physics Program
Georgia Tech