RE: AAHP survey (6/95 HPS newsletter)

Les Slayback has really touched a nerve.  I feel I should also add my two
cents worth.

	Many seem to confuse technical proficiency and scholarly excellence.
Board Certification by ABHP or any of the other professional certification
bodies are testing a combination of both areas.  Technical proficiency in
an area does not mean that the person had any formal training and/or self-
learning in the first principles of Health Physics, Physics, etc.  It generally
implies that the person has spend many years in the practical area and
probably not as much time in search of scholarly excellence.  A degree
...  BA, MS and PhD indicates a minimal level of scholastic achievement.

	Unfortunately, over time grade inflation has tended to reduce the
meaning of the degree name....e.g. a MS today may or maynot be equivalent to
the levels of training and required work put in by a MS degree holder of
20 years ago.  .... But, our educational system is a whole other topic that
needs careful review and continued discussion on how to improve it.

	A graduate degree also prepares one for self-study in a chosen
disicipline.  I think that one who is board certified must also be a person
that has training in scientific thought processes....e.g. a minimum of a
BS ... preferably a MS or PhD.  For those who want an examination that
allows for a measure of technical competence, I feel that the NRRPT does
an excellent job in this area.

	Jerry Thomas
	thomas@usuhsb.usuhs.mil