From: root
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: AAHP survey (6/95 HPS newsletter)
Date: Tuesday, June 06, 1995 4:02PM

Re the Controversy, a few additional points to ponder (without stating
which side of the question I am on):

1.  There is an alternate route for the nondegreed person:  NRRPT
Registration.

2.  There are degrees and then there are degrees:  accredited institution?
Degree in a science, engineering or math?  Or does physical education
(and maybe sociology) count?

3.  Some of the finest and best qualified CHP's that I have had the
pleasure and privilege of working with have been non-degreed.  They are
also largely older and retired.

4.  Should the CHP be equated with ABR or ABMP or ABIH certification (all
of which, I believe require degrees) or the P.E. (which in some states
can still be achieved without a degree although this is fast disappearing)?

5.  Could the AAHP, as an educational body, get degree granting authority
vis-a-vis the 'alternative' educational institutions (diploma mills to
some and of which there are a plethora in California) and grant to those
passing the CHP a degree?  If so, might this or some variant be a
suitable course of action?

6.  How do university RSO's and other CHP's feel the CHP equates to the
PhD or MD 'customers' with whom they deal?  Would a nondegreed CHP be as
effective with these folks as a degreed or PhD degreed CHP?

The above are offered purely as food for thought and should in no way be
interpreted as indicative of any opinion or position of this writer,

Ron Kathren

PS  Les -- Good job of stirring the pot.