Cs-Ba Generators

Bill Fendt wrote:

>Speaking of Cs-Ba generators... does anyone know the name of a
>supplier of these.  The ones we use for student chem labs are old
>and we are experiencing significant Cs breakthrough.  Nucleus (now
>Oxford) doesn't provide them anymore.

Although I can't give you the name of a supplier you might consider
making your own. There was an article in the Journal of Chemical
Education Vol. 37 p. 590, Nov. 1960 "Growth and Decay of
Radionuclides" that gives the details for building one.

I'd forgotten that Oxford/Nucleus stopped making them. As I recall,
it was a scrwey shipping problem.  I think it involved the fact that
there is no exempt quantity specified for Ba-137m. Right out of Alice
in Wonderland. That is a recollection and may or may not make any
sense.

The Nucleus used a different ion exchange resin than described in the
article. I should be able to find out what they used and will let you
know if you are interested.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE