CHP degree requirement

     Just another opinion on the new AAHP degree requirement...

     I am glad to see discussion on the new requirement. Thanks for
     starting it, Les.

     I wrote the AAHP concerning this topic as soon as it was announced.
     (See the CHP Corner in the February, 1995 HPS Newsletter.) I raised
     four specific concerns with the change in policy. The AAHP "responded"
     to my letter, but did not really address the concerns I raised. I
     believe more discussion and investigation needs to be done prior to
     implementing the new policy.

     One specific concern I have not seen addressed on this forum so far:

     As we all know, certification is often a key factor in employer hiring
     and promotion decisions. As such, any change in the prerequisites can
     affect careers, promotions, and raises. As a corporate officer who has
     been involved with Affirmative Action and EEO "stuff", the change
     concerns me. Without firm, documented, defendable reasons to change
     the entry requirement, (which I don't believe the AAHP has), someone
     in the future that meets the present credit requirement could sue the
     AAHP to take the exam without a degree. From what I have seen and been
     involved with, the AAHP would not have a prayer of winning something
     like this. We, as CHPs, should carefully consider a change such as
     this, and possibly get a legal opinion, before implementing it.

     Are we elitist??? I hope not, but that sure seems to be the perception
     to "outsiders." (Ask some non-certified coworkers and see what kind of
     answers you get!)