Re: Low-level biodegradable and mixed wastes

Facing the same disposal and cost problems, several years ago we switched
over office use of LSC from 6-7ml vials to 2ml microcentrifuge tubes.
Packard Instrument Company adapters (shaped like a 20 ml vial, with holes in
the sides) carry the microtubes through the unmodified LS Counter.  We cut
sample costs (cocktail volume, vial cost, etc.) by roughly 75%, and nearly
tripled the number of samples that can be dumped in a waste drum for
shipment to a licensed commercial incineration facility.  A number of our
researchers are also switching over to microtubes, and verify that they have
roughly 85-95% of the efficiency and reproducibility of larger conventional
vials.  I have some papers on this topic if you want to give me a call - our
network and /or computer are a little fragile right now, and I am not always
getting e-mail.

John C. Elliott, RSO
Director of Research & Instructional Safety
California State University, Fullerton
Fullerton, CA 92634
(714) 773-2687 office
(714) 449-5843 direct/voice mail.>