Re: Low-level biodegradable and mixed wastes

> Given the increasingly difficult conditions that most low-level
> (cocktail) waste generators now face, that is, high-costs of disposal
> and lack of storage space, what are the "tips and tricks" or alternative
> solutions for getting rid of:
>
> 1).  Biodegradable cocktail solutions with low-levels of C-14 and H-3?

Dr. Peterson,

here is one tip that might help you.  Under 10 CFR 20.306 one may:
"dispose of the following laicensed material without regard to its
radioactivity:
(a) 0.05 uCi or less of H-3 or C-14, per gram of medium, used for
scintillation counting..."

Here at Idaho State University we find that most of our H-3 and C-14
liquid scint vials fall under this catagory.

This also applies to these levels of H-3 or C-14 combined with
toluene.  The toluene can be handed over to your hazardous waste guys
as if it where nonradioactive and disposed of accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Troy D. Taylor                    Idaho State University
Health Physicist                  Technical Safety Office

Advice is worth what you pay for it, and is disclaimed
in its entirety.