Analytical lab performance on spike samples

  New Thread!

The internal dosimetry group at Sandia is in the process of developing a
procedure to document the review of lab results for spiked samples.  I have
reviewed the ANSI N13.30(draft 1994) guidance for performance criteria on QC
samples.  The ANSI standard identifies numerical criteria for the avg. bias of
a group of spike samples.  This parameter alone is insufficient to evaluate the
performance of an analytical lab.  Individual sample bias could swing wildly,
while the average bias is within the -0.25 to +0.50 criteria.

We are thinking of looking at the standard deviation of the bias to provide a
measure of how the bias is behaving.  So the questions are:

1. Is anyone aware of any formal guidance in this or a related area(e.g. TLD's,
   radiochemistry)?

2. Has anyone adopted 'rule of thumb' guidance for their own use?

Thanks for the help.

Jamie Mallon

Environmental Dimensions Inc.
Phone 505-844-8287