Re[2]: SI units

Although I find SI units for radiation measurements difficult to get used to,
I do agree with Michael Williamson that SI is a better system.  As radiation
safety professionals, we do need to speak, perhaps not necessarily in the same
language or even in agreement, but at least in one common measuring unit.

I spent my childhood in a country that converted to the metric system early
on.  I used to hear grumbling from old people about the "NEW" *foreign* system
that was forced on them, and they insisted on using the old system for a
while.  The use of the old system died away with the old folks.

When my family moved to US, I found learning the new "OLD" system
nonsensical and difficult (I still can't remember how many feet in a mile),
and *I* grumbled a lot.... but I soon got used to it.

But unlike Michael, I wouldn't want to speculate on the reason why we
Americans wouldn't change over to the SI units (maybe it is for the same
reason Detroit doesn't want to make right-hand drive cars, but that's another
issue)... if recent volley of emails is any indication, that may be like
poking at nest full of bees.  :)  <=== honest!

Unlike old bones, old habits are hard to break.

Maybe the answer is to make up our mind and, like that famous basketball
player says, "Just do it!"  :)