Mentoring

Well, once again we find ourselves at FRIDAY!

I saw one or two interesting words mentioned in
strings of various subjects in the last few days.
One of them was the word MENTOR.

Has anyone considered mentoring young people of
High School age, getting them interested in
Health Physics?  One group in particular that
comes to mind is the Boy Scouts.

The Boy Scouts of America has a merit badge on
atomic energy.  Requirements for the badge range
from telling who some of the radiation pioneers
were to building a simple Geiger-Mueller device
and finding sources of radiation.

So where do you come in?  Scouts need advisors (you)
to point them in the right direction.  Not all
scoutmasters know who Marie Curie was, much less
how a G-M counter works (no disrespect to scoutmasters,
but they cannot be all things to all people).

If you are interested, call your local Boy Scout
Council office (they are in the phone book).

Regards,

John Aperans

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     *  JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                          *
     *  Directorate for Applied Technology, Test and   *
     *                     Simulation (DATTS)          *
     *  ATTN: Health Physics                           *
     *  US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002    *
     *  FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064     *
     *  e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil           *
     A little learning is a dangerous thing;
     Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
                                Essay on Criticism
                                Alexander Pope