Re: Mentoring

>>I saw one or two interesting words mentioned in
>>strings of various subjects in the last few days.
>>One of them was the word MENTOR.

>>Has anyone considered mentoring young people of
>>High School age, getting them interested in
>>Health Physics?  One group in particular that
>>comes to mind is the Boy Scouts.

Actually I had thought of something like this and thought of placing a query
here for advice.

I lead a 4H rocketry group and had considered the idea of a 4H Health
Physics groups.  The kids are aged 9 through 19 and the project leader can
limit the age and number of participation.

I was trying to come up with WHAT I would present for the minimum requiste
10 one hour meetings within what I perceived to be the realistic
constraints:

1:  meetings held in a home (mine) in the neighborhood - ie. NOT a LAB

2:  limited equipment .... mine again.

3:  Keep them interested

4:  Some kind of hands on displayable tangible project.

The more I thought about it the more I thought that they cannot even really
begin to get any orientation into HP without SOME understanding of
statistics/probability.

That age group tends to only see black and white and firmly believes that
random events are governed by LUCK and thus outcomes CAN be influenced.

That to me seemed the major block.

Everything I was coming up with sounded too much like "Our Friend the Atom"
50's/60's PR - which just wouldn't fly with today's kids NOR their parents.

So add to the above

5:  Evangelizing unacceptable

Comments, input, suggestions ANYTHING accepted ........