Re: FW:

Richard,

The CR-39 alpha track detector should work.  Had you considered "ordinary"
photographic emulsions as the detector?  Need darkroom, of course, but less
complex than the chemical etching of CR-39 in many ways.  Image analysis
migiht well be applied to your problem.  You have the options of analyzing
an image from a common microscope, or performing scanning electron
microscopy (SEM) followed by image analysis of the SEM photo image/print.
If available, the use of the SEM coupled with non-dispersive X-ray analysis,
or use of an electron microprobe unit, can provide you with elemental
identification and size data, if you are lucky.   Of course, the
particle-of-interest should not be obscured or buried in the collected dust
for the best results.

Dr. James Mazzullo, Professor of Geology at Texas A&M Univ., should be a
useful source of information re applications of image analysis on such
particles.  He uses this technology extensively in measuring size and shape
parameters of individual sand grains.  His phone no. is (409)845-2441.  A
viable e-mail address may be:  mazz@tamu.edu   If this does not get to him,
let me know and I can get a valid address from the university pH database.  OK?

Milton McLain