FW:

HOT DUST

Personal air samplers(PAS) or static air monitors are used by workers where
there is the potential to inhale actinide particulates.  We are being asked
to develop the capabilities and establish a procedure to make retrospective
particle size measurements on particles collected on filter papers shown to
be contaminated by alpha spectroscopy.
This is a two part problem.  We need a method of locating the active
particles and determine their relative activity among the non-active
particles, perhaps using CR39.  Once the hot particles have been located it
is important to know the size because the size will have a significant
impact on dose.   One possibility being looked into is image analysis.  This
is a new project for us, so any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

Please contact Richard Richardson;
Radiation Biology and Health Physics,
AECL, Chalk River Research Laboratories, Chalk River, Ontario, K0J 1J0.

Telephone  613-584-3311 extension 4755

Fax  613-584-1713

email  RICHARSON@CRL.AECL.CA
            OR
         RICHARDR@CRL5.CRL.AECL.CA

Note:  If you reply within the next 2 weeks please forward e-mail messages
to Mike Wood (woodm@crl5.aecl.ca).  Mike will forward your messages to other
members of our internal dosimetry team.  If you would like to make contact
by phone please call Shelly Starling @ 613-584-8811 (4745 or 4528)