hot dust

The Fuiji 'film' (really a light stimulated luminesence material) is super
for this purpose, both in terms of sensivity and in terms of data
manipulation.  The main downside is that the system is expensive ($60-80k).
Basically you expose the film, put it in their reader, and it gives you
digital 2 dimensional data that you can crunch as you like.  I do not know
the utlimate resolution, but it is probably not adequate to resolve
distinguish micron sized particles.  But it will certainly locate individual
disperse particles and allow quantification of the activity of those particles.
We have used the system to check the uniformity of plated standards and to
autoradiograph neutron beams.  Tony Cheng at NIST is the guru on this system.
He can be reached at 301-975-6216.
I am told that Hewlett Packard has some equivalent technology.
It is very impressive in terms of sensitivity and data analysis.

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV
   ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life