Silos for spent fuel (was Re: Nuclear Waste Storage Scandal)

I wrote to the fellow who posted Mr. Heine's "use the missle silos for spent
fuel" idea last week (scotkroyer@aol.com) -- and asked how many silo sites
would be needed for such an effort.  The two large silos mentioned in the
post would apparently not take much of the load,  because he spoke of sending
a few casks to each of about a thousand silos.  He stressed that this
approach wouldn't really be dispersing the spent fuel any more than the
present system of ISFSIs.

This week,  Mr. Kroyer sent out a follow-up to the list called ACTIV-L.  It
was a letter from Mr. Heine to President Clinton,  urging him to avoid
foisting a spent-fuel-related round of genocide upon the Indian Nations,  and
stressing the capital cost advantages of modifying silos vs the costs of a
Yucca Mtn-type site.

So far,  IMHO,  the only good part of this idea is that spent fuel stored
this way would probably be retrievable!

Best wishes
steve.schulin@nuclear.com

P.S. The letter to the President has scrolled off here at nuclear.com,  and a
search of usenet only found the original skroyer post,  using the nice
web-based tool called DejaNews -- http://www.dejanews.com/

P.P.S -- surely we can come up with highbrow humor using the HP in http !
Send any suggestions to rad_humor@nuclear.com,  and I'll post a compilation
of the best here to RADSAFE.