Subject: Re: Patient Dose Rates
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at CCSMTP
Date:    7/9/95 5:24 PM

>     I have been asked to calculate the external (gamma) dose rate from
>     patients following a wide variety of nuclear medicine procedures.
>     While there is a large amount of data, and methodology, to calculate
>     organ and/or patient doses, I cannot find much data about the dose
>     rate from them that others might be exposed to. (There is some limited
>     data in NCRP 37, but it considers everything as a point source and
>     neglects attenuation within the patient's body.)
>
>     Has anyone done actual dose rate measurements on patients after
>     nuclear medicine procedures? Is this data readily available anywhere?

Have a look at Radiation Protection in Nuclear Medicine and Pathology
published by the Institute of Physical Sciences in Medicine (York, England).
If you don't have this book, email me your fax number and I will send you the
relevant pages. They list typical dose rates at 1m from a patient
administered with typical, known activities of various isotopes commonly used
in Nuc. Med.

                        Alex Zapantis
                        Radiation Safety Officer
                        Queensland University of Technology