Release of I-131 Patients

Nuclear medicine patients can be released from a medical facility
(in the US) if they contain less than 30 mCi OR have a dose rate of
less than 5 mrem/hr at 1 meter.  These numbers are independant of the
isotope, but are originally based on dose to the public from I-131
therapy.

There is a range of treatments using I-131 generally ranging from 8
mCi to 150 mCi.  Common uses include treating hyperthyroidism and
thyroid carcinomas.  Our nuc med people can give you better details
than I can.

Wes