Re: Release of I-131 Patients

        As a nuclear medicine physician at the Soroka Medical Center in
Beer Sheva, Israel, I can give you an idea what our doses of I-131 are.
Depending on the kind of thyroid pathology, I-131 treatment for
hyperthyroidism ranges from 148-925 MBq (4-25 mCi). Thyroid ablation doses
are of the order of 3700 MBq (100mCi). Treatment of thyroid metastases can
of course require higher doses than this. Patients who receive doses
greater than 1110 MBq (30 mCi) require isolation. Local regulations permit
the patient to be released to go home when the total body content of I-131
has fallen below 30 mCi, although there remain certain restrictions with
regard to public transportation and mixing with the public. The time of
hospital isolation for therapy or ablation doses usually involves 2-3
nights, but we have had patients who needed to be kept in isolation for
considerably longer times because of radioiodine retention.

        Michael Quastel

Standard disclaimers