Therapy Patients

John Goldsmith asked the question:

>Given that nurses caring for patients getting radiotherapy with 137Cs,
>routinely wear film badges, is there any circumstance in which
>radiation exposure could occur which would justify therapeutic abortion?

While I was working at the Army hospital at Ft Gordon, we routinely
had patients admitted for I-131 thyroid therapy.  We made every effort
to educate the nursing staff regarding the risks associated with
radiation exposure, and covered exposure of and risks to the unborn
children of radiation workers.

Even so, we had sufficient nursing staff on hand (as I understand, a
rare occurrence) so that if someone DID have real personal concerns
about being pregnant/potentially pregnant and being exposed, we simply
did not allow them to provide care to the therapy patients.

Was there a requirement for this grad student to work with rad therapy
patients as part of the curriculum?  Or was she simply curious?  NCRP
#54, _Medical_Radiation_Exposure_of_Pregnant_and_Potentially_Pregnant
Women_, may have more information on doses and risks.

Standard Disclaimer:  These are my opinions alone, and do not reflect
the official views of the US Army or the US Government.

     *  JOHN E. APERANS, RRPT                          *
     *  Directorate for Applied Technology, Test and   *
     *                     Simulation (DATTS)          *
     *  ATTN: Health Physics                           *
     *  US Army White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002    *
     *  FAX: (505) 678-7410  VOICE: (505) 678-2064     *
     *  e-mail: japerans@wsmr-emh81.army.mil           *
     A little learning is a dangerous thing;
     Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
                                Essay on Criticism
                                Alexander Pope