Re:: Thorium in lantern mantles

Joel --

A possible answer to your question lies in the fact that Th-230, with a
relatively short (at last compared to Th-232) half life is chemically
inseparable from Th-232, and is also the daughter of the U-238 decay
chain.  If the Th ore contained an appreciable amount of U, the
separation would include the Th-230 as well.  If, of course, the Th ore
was lacking in U, then it would be more or less free of the 230 isotope.
As for the U-235, your guess is as to it being an artifactis probably
correct.

Hope this helps.

Ron Kathren

PS  It is well known that Thorotrast preparation frequently contained
appreciable amounts (on an activity basis) of Th-230.  See the July 1992
Health Physics.

Ron