Radiation Risk Analogies - This message was sent as a cc: to radsafe acouple days ago. It came back today saying it did not get delivered.However, at least one person got it. Perhaps others did also. I didn't. SoI'm sending it out directly this time. I hope you find it worth the time toread. Thanks. John

>To:"Mcelrath Susan S." <MCELRATHS@rscpo1.wilm.ge.com>
>From:jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu (John Cameron)
>Subject:Re: Risk Calculation Analogies
>Cc: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>
>Dear Susan,
>         You wrote ">I am looking for new and interesting ways to explain how
>radiation risks are determined. I'm particularly interested in analogies which
>relate risk calculations to common, everday, ordinary items. I'm looking for
>more than  just relating radiation exposure risks to activities like driving a
>car, skydiving, etc. I'm looking for analogies to explain how risks are
>calculated (or, extrapolated) from exposure data."
>
>        My answer will be a  disappointment to you. There are no radiation
>risks worth mentioning for ordinary people at any exposures they will receive
>during their lifetimes..However, there is plenty to explain - read on.
>         (Background) I spent my entire career (since 1948) working with
>radiation in one form or another - six years in nuclear physics research,
>development and teaching and over 35 years in medical applications of
>radiation. In 1958 when I went into medical physics at the U. of Wis-Madison I
>thought the most important thing a physicist could do would be to reduce
>radiation doses in diagnostic radiology.(They needed reducing but much more
>important problems, such as QC were not yet visible to me then.)
>        I used to believe that radiaton was dangerous. It is in big doses -
>say 1 Gy whole body in a short time. However, even then the risk is not huge.
>I'd take 1 Gy rather than go sky diving or hang-gliding. If 1 Gy is spread
>over decades then there is no evidence that it is harmful - it may even be
>beneficial for some people. . For example, radium dial painters with skeletal
>doses below 10 Gy of alphas (200 Sv equivalent dose or 24 Sv effective dose)
>had NO radiation induced cancer, such as osteogenic sarcoma or leukemia! (So
>much for leukemia being easy to induce with radiation.)
>         The radium dial painters who didn't get radiaion induced cancer -
>98.7% of them - lived longer on the average than their age matched controls.
>So did many of the a-bomb survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. How many HPs
>know that the a-bomb survivors are living longer on the average, despite about
> 400 radiation induced cancer deaths, than unexposed Japanese?
>        A good recent reference about health effects of radium is RADIUM IN
>HUMANS - A REVIEW OF US STUDIES by Bob Rowland published by Argonne Nat. Lab
>Feb. 1995 (dated Sept. 1994). A still valid reference is RADIUM IN MAN by
>Robley Evans Health Physics Nov. 1974 pages 497-510.  Another good reference
>is HEALTH EFFECTS OF LOW LEVEL RADIATION  by Sohei Kondo, co-published in the
>US by Med. Phys Publ (MPP) of Madison, WI (800) 442-5778. Chap. 4 gives a lot
>of interesting data. If you want an elementary book suitable for science
>teachers in the primary and secondary schools read THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT
> [...]
John Cameron, 2571 Porter Rd., P.O. Box 405, Lone Rock, WI 53556-0405
Phones: Voice: 608/583-2160; FAX 608/583-2269. NOTE:During the winter
months Von & I will be at our winter home near the U.of Florida at 2678 SW
14th Dr., Gainesville, FL 32608 - Phone not yet installed. My e-mail will
be forwarded.