Re: TLDs - False Positive Betas

     Stu:

     NU uses the thin chip for beta assessment. I have seen these chips
     crumble and chip after a short time of wear when out in the field.
     While one would expect that even the cracked chips will release the
     same total amount of light for the Harshaw 8000 reader to detect and
     convert to response, I suggest that the problem you have is the ECF is
     no longer valid.

     My question to you would be how often do you perform ECF
     verifications? My lab routinely verifies 1000 TLDs monthly, which
     includes a subset of the QC TLDs used during the period under review.
     This verifies that the lab badges and field badges are statistically
     equivalent.

     Mentioned earlier was whether or not you are trending the data on
     Control Charts. We do, using Shewart Control Charts. IF you are able
     to anneal the TLDs below your admin. limits, it would still be prudent
     to plot the data, paying close attention to the standard deviation as
     well.

     My guess is that the problem IS NOT low energy x-rays, since you
     should have enough data to dispel that, from chemistry samples, and,
     gamma spec analysis around your plant. I also assume that you would be
     aware of changes that would affect the energy spectra around your
     site, and if you don't, that is a more serious issue that needs to be
     resolved.

     If you would like to discuss further, please contact me at (407)
     694-4219.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company