Re: Sewer Disposal -Reply

We too are not allowed to discharge radioactive materials to the sanitary
sewer. However, we did reach an agreement with the sanitation district to
allow us to discharge human waste containing radionuclides (as allowed under
federal and state regs) as it would create more of a hazard if we had to
collect the wastes from all patients who have had nuclear medicine scans or
are undergoing treatment with 131-Iodine.

With the exception of the iodine, most of the other radionuclides used in
nuclear medicine have decayed away by the time they reach the treatment
plant and are therefore not a problem.

>Ah! But now you get into the pesky domain of the Environmental Protection
Agency, Dringking Water
>Standards, and such issues.
>
>We are waiting to see what the City rules for our sewer disposal.
Currently, they don't care what the
>state or the Feds say, no radioactive material should enter their sewers.
Could be a serious problem
>for us.
>
>I, too, did not get to go to Boston.
>

>H. Merrick Harrison, Ph.D.
>Radiation Protection Officer
>(919) 515-5208
>Merrick_Harrison@ncsu.edu

  Gerald Feldman, M.S.
  Radiation Safety Officer
  UCI Medical Center
  101 City Drive South, Rt. 107
  Orange, California  92668
  Voice:  (714) 456-5607;     FAX:  (714) 634-8639
  E-mail: gfeldman@uci.edu