Re: RAMP Rumors

It is true that, in a random survey of barrels at RAMP they found that only
something like 60% of them (I'm not positive on the number) actually had in
them what the packing slips said they should have.  The State of Washington
Dept. of Ecology is concerned about mixed waste ending up being buried at
Hanford, therefore they want some verification of the waste being shipped
there. I talked to Diane Hallisy with the Wash DoE last week. I explained that
our drums had been compacted at our site and that it would be hard to pull
everything out to look for RCRA waste. I reasoned with her that, (1) if our
screening of waste hasn't changed in the last four years and I am relatively
sure about the waste we originally packaged in the drums, and (2) I open up my
drums at RAMP and identify that my stuff is still on top, and (3) we measure
VOC's when we open the drums and find none, then I would feel safe certifying
that my drums still contain only dry, solid waste. She agreed. Now all I have
to do is make one more trip to RAMP to open up the rest of my drums and, being
satisfied, send her a letter to that effect. Hope it works.

And I hope it's not in the upper 90's like the last time I was down there.

Jim Herrold
University of Wyoming