Re: Genetic Effects of Radiation

Susan Mcelrath wrote:

>In the most recent National Geographic there is an article on the
>A-bombings in Japan. It was interesting to note that the article said (my
>paraphrase) A-bomb survivors were discriminated against occupationally (bad
>health, risk of cancer) and "socially" due to the fear of genetic effects
>in offspring if a spouse is an A-bomb survivor. The article even went on to
>say families of engaged couples sometimes hired private investigators to
>find out if their future in-laws were A-bomb survivors.
>
>I wonder if the populations studied for genetic effects of ionizing
>radiation were smaller than normal because A-bomb survivors didn't produce
>offspring at a normal rate - not because of physical damage, but because
>they couldn't find a willing mate. I don't see the issue specifically
>addressed in BEIR V. (If it is and I missed it please enlighten me.) Could
>it be there were only a few isolated incidents of "social" discrimination
>so it wasn't a significant factor?, or is this a new twist on the way
>genetic effects are studied?

     I had to do a lot of soul-searching before I decided to respond to
     Susan.  My father is one of the Hiroshima "hibakusha."  He was a cadet
     in Imperial Navy Officer School (like Annapolis). He was lucky he did
     not receive disfiguring injury.  His friend standing next to him
     facing toward the blast was not so lucky.  My father is not a
     registered survivor, not because he feared discrimination, but because
     he did not want to be a statistic and be "pestered" by researchers....
     he wanted anonymity.  When he married my mother, everyone know he was
     in Hiroshima.

     The National Geographic article intimated that private investigators were
     hired solely to findout if the prospective bride or groom was hibakusha.
     This is not true. It was a common practice then to hire a private
     investigator to check the background and the family of future in-laws,
     not just because of the bomb.  This practice continues to some extent
     today, particularly in well-to-do families.  What bothered my maternal
     grandfather most was not that my father was hibakusha, but that my
     mother's family was samurai class and my father's family was peasant
     class.  Today, my 73 year old father is very healthy for man of his age,
     and my brothers and I are normal (some of my friends and coworkers may
     beg to differ on this point).

     I'm certain that lot of survivors, particularly those with disfiguring
     injuries, had a hard time finding a mate, if at all.  But my impression
     and my wife's recollection (my wife is from Hiroshima) was that
     eventually most of them had been able to get married and raise a family.

     I've been asked if my father is opposed to my chosen career.  The
     answer is not at all. In war, people, combatants and civilians alike,
     die horrible death.  Such is the nature of war.  In his view, the fact
     that nuclear weapon was used does not make it more or less humane.

     I've already wasted lot of your time.  If anyone wants to ask me specific
     questions, please contact me privately.

     Tosh Ushino
     ushinot@songs.sce.com