Re: Genetic Effects of Radiation

John Goldsmith comments:
	An exceptionally well organized and presented set of findings on
possible genetic effects of A-Bomb radiation is presented in a recently
published book "Effects of A-Bomb Radiation on the Human Body" edited by
Shigematsu and published by Harwood Academic publishers. Translated from a
report of the Hiroshima International Council for Medical Care of the Radiation
Exposed, it speaks of fertility.."No difference was observed between the
exposed and control populations with respsect to fertility, abortion,
premature birth and still birth."  Concerning genetic effects, "Early
studies which were restricted to indices such as dominant lethal effects
and malformations etc among the offspring of atomic bomb survivors, and
even later studies that covered 40 years following exposure revealed no
positive evidence of genetic effects being produced by atomic bomb
radiation."  There is some evidence of chromosomal changes and
biochemical indicators of mutation.
	Stigmatization is also a problem for survivors of the Chernobyl
accident according to our studies of immigrants to Israel from the affected
areas.  We feel that public information as to the true long-term risks--to
the extent that we do have good evidence on them--has not been given
adequate attention  and we are currently trying to prepare clear and factual
material to help counter the exaggerations which lead to such social problems.
                John Goldsmith <gjohn@bgumed.bgu.ac.il>