Re: Genetic Effects of Radiation in a-bomb survivors

Dear Susan, I don't have first hand information. It is sad that the 50th
anniversary will open  old wounds which should be left to heal. However, I
am sure there was some prejudice against the bomb survivors. The ABCC and
later the RERF have carefully tracked the offspring of the survivors. There
are now about 90,000 children and grandchildren of the survivors, which is
a good sample. They have found no increase in mutations.  I heard that the
number of chromosme breaks were less than in the control population.  This
doesn't mean much since chromosome breaks are not correlated with
mutations. You can contact the RERF via e-mail and they might have a better
 answer to your question. You might try contacting the following person:

 Hiroaki Katayama                Radiation Effects Research Foundation
 H_Katayama@rerf.or.jp           Research Information Center
 VOICE: 81-82-261-1953           5-2 Hijiyama Park, Minami-ku
   FAX: 81-82-263-7279           Hiroshima 732, JAPAN
I hope this is helpful.I am sending this to the whole list as others may
wish to have the contact at the RERF.
Best wishes, John
P.S. Was I supposed to send you a video about radiation risks?

John Cameron, 2571 Porter Rd., P.O. Box 405, Lone Rock, WI 53556-0405
Phones: Voice: 608/583-2160; FAX 608/583-2269. NOTE:During the winter
months Von & I will be at our winter home near the U.of Florida at 2678 SW
14th Dr., Gainesville, FL 32608 - Phone not yet installed. My e-mail will
be forwarded.