Genetic Effects of Radiation

In the most recent National Geographic there is an article on the A-bombings
in Japan. It was interesting to note that the article said (my paraphrase)
A-bomb survivors were discriminated against occupationally (bad health, risk
of cancer) and "socially" due to the fear of genetic effects in offspring if
a spouse is an A-bomb survivor. The article even went on to say families of
engaged couples sometimes hired private investigators to find out if their
future in-laws were A-bomb survivors.

I wonder if the populations studied for genetic effects of ionizing
radiation were smaller than normal because A-bomb survivors didn't produce
offspring at a normal rate - not because of physical damage, but because
they couldn't find a willing mate. I don't see the issue specifically
addressed in BEIR V. (If it is and I missed it please enlighten me.) Could
it be there were only a few isolated incidents of "social" discrimination so
it wasn't a significant factor?, or is this a new twist on the way genetic
effects are studied?