Re: "Ask a Health Physicist" service for science teachers

A good idea recently appeared in my mail box as an item in the WSST
Newsletter for science teachers of  primary and secondary schools. The US
Geological Survey has established a "Ask A Geologist" e-mail service. The
idea is that a teacher with a question involving geology could send the
question  to this service and within a day or two receive the answer or
further information via e-mail or possibly via the post office..
      This seems like an excellent service for HPS and other societies to
provide in their own areas. (I sent the suggestion to the Wis. Assn of
Physics Teachers to consider.) I have long lamented the lack of convenient
available information about radiation for grade school and high school
teachers. They often believe what they read in hear in the news media. It
is often difficult for them to get factual information. The information
they want is often in our heads or readily available in a reference on our
desk.. Health Physicists could volunteer to take turns at responding to the
questions. It might be a very diverting activity for a retired health
physicist. Perhaps someone will volunteer to promote this idea to the HPS
Board or some other supporting body.
       This is  a resource  science teachers need. More and more of them
will be on e-mail and will be able to tap into a many sources for answers
to their questions. The service would not be limited to science teachers
but it would be available for  students and members of the general public.
This service should not be part of  radsafe. The questions and answers
should be on a separate list server, so that many could benefit from the
questions and answers. Health physicists should direct their questions to
radsafe, rather than the new service. A questioner would not need to be a
member of a list server.
        In Gainesville, FL where I spend my winters, the public library
provides "freenet" in cooperation with local industries and the U. of
Florida  - an e-mail & internet connection for free for any library patron.
It is crowded in the evening but it is a great way to open up the
"information highway" to the general public.  Volunteers field questions.
        I haven't received the e-mail address of "Ask-A-Geologist" yet.
When I do, I plan to ask "What is the approximate power from all of the
radioactive disintegrations in the Earth?"  My crude estimates make it an
order of magnitude greater than the power we receive from the sun. This is
based on the average heat flow from the center of the earth being about 1
cal/cm2/s, which would give about 4 kW/m2. This would be over the entire
earth. Sun light only strikes one half of the earth and is (as I recall)
less than 1 kW/m2.
        This nuclear energy drives all of the volcanoes, earth quakes,
movements of the continents, geothermal energy, etc. It played the dominant
role in keeping the earth warm enough for life to evolve.  About 1880
Kelvin calculated the age of the earth as not much over a million years,
based on radiative cooling from a molten mass. He didn't know about natural
radioactivity at the time. (His calculation was very upsetting to the
Darwinists and the geologists.)  It might  give a better image to
radioactivity and radiaiton if it were known that radioactivity was
essential to the origin of life on our planet. Perhaps God created natural
radioactivity for that reason! (I do not want to start a theological
discussion.)
        This message does not require an answer to me - if a group in HPS
or elsewhere starts the service, I would be glad to help. Thanks for
reading this far. John

John Cameron, 2571 Porter Rd., P.O. Box 405, Lone Rock, WI 53556-0405
Phones: Voice: 608/583-2160; FAX 608/583-2269. NOTE:During the winter
months Von & I will be at our winter home near the U.of Florida at 2678 SW
14th Dr., Gainesville, FL 32608 - Phone not yet installed. My e-mail will
be forwarded.