Re: Genetic Effects of Radiation

i meant to add this comment to this message

below is the reason i wanted to see the national geographic issue.  you
might find the comments by tosh to be interesting.

paul

> Date sent:      Tue, 1 Aug 95 16:48:11 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "USHINO, TOSH" <ushinot@songs.sce.com>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Re: Genetic Effects of Radiation

> Susan Mcelrath wrote:
>
> >In the most recent National Geographic there is an article on the
> >A-bombings in Japan. It was interesting to note that the article said (my
> >paraphrase) A-bomb survivors were discriminated against occupationally (bad
> >health, risk of cancer) and "socially" due to the fear of genetic effects
> >in offspring if a spouse is an A-bomb survivor. The article even went on to
> >say families of engaged couples sometimes hired private investigators to
> >find out if their future in-laws were A-bomb survivors.
> >
> >I wonder if the populations studied for genetic effects of ionizing
> >radiation were smaller than normal because A-bomb survivors didn't produce
> >offspring at a normal rate - not because of physical damage, but because
> >they couldn't find a willing mate. I don't see the issue specifically
> >addressed in BEIR V. (If it is and I missed it please enlighten me.) Could
> >it be there were only a few isolated incidents of "social" discrimination
> >so it wasn't a significant factor?, or is this a new twist on the way
> >genetic effects are studied?
>
>      I had to do a lot of soul-searching before I decided to respond to
>      Susan.  My father is one of the Hiroshima "hibakusha."  He was a cadet
>      in Imperial Navy Officer School (like Annapolis). He was lucky he did
>      not receive disfiguring injury.  His friend standing next to him
>      facing toward the blast was not so lucky.  My father is not a
>      registered survivor, not because he feared discrimination, but because
>      he did not want to be a statistic and be "pestered" by researchers....
>      he wanted anonymity.  When he married my mother, everyone know he was
>      in Hiroshima.
>
>      The National Geographic article intimated that private investigators were
>      hired solely to findout if the prospective bride or groom was hibakusha.
>      This is not true. It was a common practice then to hire a private
>      investigator to check the background and the family of future in-laws,
>      not just because of the bomb.  This practice continues to some extent
>      today, particularly in well-to-do families.  What bothered my maternal
>      grandfather most was not that my father was hibakusha, but that my
>      mother's family was samurai class and my father's family was peasant
>      class.  Today, my 73 year old father is very healthy for man of his age,
>      and my brothers and I are normal (some of my friends and coworkers may
>      beg to differ on this point).
>
>      I'm certain that lot of survivors, particularly those with disfiguring
>      injuries, had a hard time finding a mate, if at all.  But my impression
>      and my wife's recollection (my wife is from Hiroshima) was that
> [...]

PAUL SKIERKOWSKI                        OOOOO
ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY SERVICES          O     O
UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA                 O  U  O  U
905 ASP AVE., ROOM 112                 O  U  O  U
NORMAN, OK  73019-0420                 O  U  O  U
405-325-1015   FAX - 7238               OOUOO   U
                                          U     U
PAUL@ESS-LAN.STUDIES.UOKNOR.EDU            UUUUU