Re: Mass Energy Absorption Coefficient

Not to be picky, but as David Simpson wrote:

>... mass energy absorption coefficient:...the product of the mass energy
transfer >coefficient and (1-g) where g is the fraction of energy of
secondary charged >particles that is lost to bremsstahlung.

>... mass energy transfer coefficient is defined as  the fraction of
incident particle >energy that is transferred to kinetic energy of charged
particles by interactions, >in traversing a distance of material.

For X- and gamma rays, the mass energy transfer coefficient is the sum of
three terms (its hard to type them in this world of limited fonts).  It is
simpler to type the following if I  multiply everything by the material
density, rho.    Then the energy transfer coefficient per unit volume of
absorbing material is (pls. bear with me here):

mu_k (ie mu sub k) = tau_a + sigma_a + kappa_a

where

tau_a = tau(1- delta/hv)  where tau is the photoelectric attenuation
coefficient, delta is the average energy emitted as fluorescent radiation
per photon absorbed, and hv is the photon energy.

sigma_a = sigma*E/hv  where sigma is the total Compton attenuation coef. and
E is the average energy of the Compton electrons

kappa_a = kappa(1 - 2mcc/hv)  where kappa is the attenuation coef. for pair
production and mcc (mc squared) is the rest mass of the electron

Finally, the term attenuation coef. is a general term which could refer to
mass attenuation coef. (number of particles removed from beam) or mass
energy attenuation coef. (energy removed from beam).

hope this helps...
Alan Enns
Radiation Safety Assistant,
Department of Health, Safety and Environment
University of British Columbia,
Canada.
aenns@unixg.ubc.ca