Re: "Ask a Health Physicist"

> The Florida Chapter of the Health Physics Society sponsors a program
>     whereby speakers from various walks of health physics experience
>     conduct teacher workshops throughout the state .. usually a full day,
>     on radiation issues and background information. Materials are provided
>     for the teachers to bring back current information to the classroom.
>     The program has been well-received and is currently in its first year.

I believe that this is part of the HPS Science Teacher Workshop program
which, as you note, is in its first year.  Florida is one of the Chapters
that was able to benefit from the program and indeed improve and change the
program to suit their needs.

We are hoping that the grant that made the program financially possible will
be approved in the near future for at least another year.  As with the last
go-around, when the grant is approved there will be announcements made in the
HPS Newsletter as well as other publications  and notes sent to all of the
HPS Chapter Presidents and Secretaries.

We are very excited about the success of the initial program and are working
to continue to improve materials and the flexibility of the program.  Last
year over 1,000 science teachers accross the country participated in the
workshops conducted by local chapters such as Florida.  In many cases the
Chapters have kept in touch with the teachers to serve as local resources for
answering questions and sometimes helping to teach the kids.

-Brett Burk
HPS Secretariat Office