Re: Ecologic Fallacy revisited

I still have a bit of trouble understanding what exactly Dr.
Cohen did.  I missed his presentation at Boston, but it seems
from the discussions here that he conducted a study where a
single grab sample of radon was used in addition to a completed
questionnaire to establish possible radon exposure health effects!

If true, the uncertainties in the radon value measured (maybe it
was for long period of time to avoid seasonal effects?) would
be very large.  Finally, designing a study up front utilizing
the "ecologic fallacy" is somewhat amazing (albeit relatively
economical).

Even the studies available to BEIR IV were not as well case-
controlled as one would have preferred.  I think Dr. Nero at
LLNL (regarding radon measurement uncertainties) and Dr. Cohen
(regarding the basis for developing his study) should share
some of their experiences regarding these issues on
radsafe!  May someone help them get "connected"!

>Let me try again.
>1. One cannot dismiss a relation between iodine deficiency and goiter
>prevalence just because it meets the criteria for an ecologic fallacy.
>2. On cannot dismiss a relation between cancer deficiency and radon
>concentration just because it meets the criteria for an ecologic fallacy

Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030