DOT Exemption Regs

Hello everyone,

I have decided that the DOT regs are confusing at best. [grin]

Here is what I have for you all:  I am attempting to determine the
exemption quantity for C-14 per DOT regs.  The C-14 is in  a
slurry of fine and ultra fine particulate organic matter (FPOM
& UPOM).  The NRC exempt limit is 100 uCi.

I determined that the A1 value for beta emitters with E <0.5 MeV is
1000 Ci per 49CFR100-177.  I know this limit needs to be modified
in some manner.  So now, what do I do with this value.

You and email me directly with your responses in order not to tie up
the radsafe listserver, that is if no one else is interested in the

Thanks for your time,

Troy D. Taylor
Health Physicist
Idaho State University