Subject: Hot Spot Exemption
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at CCSMTP
Date:    8/14/95 4:46 PM

Radsafers:
   At the DOE Pantex Plant, our mission is to disassemble/assemble
nuclear warheads.
   According to the DOE Radiological Control Manual Article 234, hot
spots shall be posted for localized sources that are 5 times general
area dose rate and greater than 0.1 rem/hr.  The localized source in
a nominal warhead is a "hot spot" per the DOE definition.  However,
isn't the intent and spirit of the Order of "hot spots" applicable to
crud/buildup in piping, process equipment, etc.. places where it is
not "designed or engineered" to be.  Our warhead sources are designed
and engineered to meet or exceed "hot spot" dose rates.  Therefore,
the question is:  Would not our warhead sources be candidates for an
exemption to the "hot spot" regulation?

Linda Vickers
Health Physicist
Pantex Plant