P-32 Dosimetry

Tried sending a direct message to Ms. McGuire and failed.
I used to work at U.C. Berkeley.  They have the typical life sciences
research labs, LOTS OF THEM.  P-32 is one of the very common isotopes
used.  Their prcedure at the time I was their, was to give quarterly
rings for 1 to 5 mCi of high energy beta or low energy gamma emitters
and for .5 to 1 mci of medium to high energy gammas.  There theory was
you can have high exposure to hands with nonpenetrating isotopes without
much whole body and if you have penetrating (med to high energy gamma)
the hands are still going to be close more often.

About 1.5 to 2 years ago when I was responding to NRC's "concerns" about
my license application [actually 2 years after the app was filed they
sent it back with a "Draft Working Paper for applications for Broad
Scope Licenses" published 1 year after my applicatin had been filed.
They also included a check list with every thing I had "left out"] I had
to deal with their guidance in the draft working paper as well as RG
10.8, I believe that anyone exposed to "photon radiation" be issued
dosimetry and anyone handling photon emitting isotopes be issued
monthly extremity dosimetry.  There is no qualification about licensed
[byproduct RAM] material or operations or amounts.  I pointed out that
this would require an RIA lab Tech handling a single test of .01 uCi
of I-125 to have both a whole body badge and monthly extremity dosimeter
and cited U.C.B.'s program.  Old friends their indicated that they were
evaluating and downsizing their dosimetry program based on 10 y+ of
experience.

Didn't see any post from them.  I have had a message or two from them.
You can call them @ 510-643-9460 I beleive.  They should have finished up
you can just ask for a copy of RP-6 (Radiation Procedure #6)

All opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the Dept of Veterans
Affairs, DVA Med Center Denver, or the U.S. Government.

Regards,  Peter Vernig, RSO VA Med Center Denver, vernig.peter@forum.
va.gov