Badging Criteria

Hi folks,

Regarding the comment against badging for "legal protection," I agree
with the importance of good surveys and training.  But the central
issue is that if a worker has a perception that you WON'T provide a
badge, then you must have something to hide.  My experience has been
that a program that doesn't build worker trust is doomed, no matter how
technically proficient it is.  Surveys and training are crucial to
building this trust, but I also think that providing a badge to a
nervous worker who asks for one generally does much more good than
harm; even given the things that can go wrong.

[P.S., I have had several of the scenarios (false positive, "internal
dose," etc.) arise; I still was happy I had assigned the badge because
now as I wasn't being viewed by the worker as an adversary, we could
work out a satisfactory solution.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Division