RE: NRC requirements on retention of film

Quite a few!  It may be possible to demonstrate that the badge was not being
worn when the  exposure occurred (a clear, sharp image is unlikely on a
moving body, for example).  If the subject disputes the reading, either
denying that an exposure occurred, or claiming an overexposure not reported,
then the film can be re-read.  Spot contamination as from a splash of
radioactive liquid may be obvious from the pattern, again being determined
after the subject disputes the reading.  Finally, it is better to have hard
evidence in a court of law than a simple report.  A third party, for
example, can be appointed by the court to examine the evidence again.

     Keep that film!

Bill Nabor
UCI
WGNABOR@UCI.EDU